Laughter is the best medicine, and there's perhaps no greater favor you could do your friends than telling them a funny joke to heal their hearts. The jokes that hit the hardest are ones that everyone can relate to; and in a day when hipsters are more popular than ever, that means telling jokes specifically about them.
Of course, it's all in good fun. It's also arguably the funniest when a hipster joke comes from an actual hipster. Everyone respects someone who can make fun of themselves. We've got 30 hipster jokes that are sure to make for a ridiculous time.
Defining a hipster is sort of like trying to define any subculture, meaning that while hipsters generally share a lot of common ground, there is no one-size-fits-all answer. They don't always share the same beliefs and behaviors, and though they often have a very distinct style, many of them may be disgusted to hear that you think their tastes are reminiscent of someone else's.
In essence, the thing that seemingly matters most to hipsters is originality. The way they dress, the music they listen to, the movies they watch, and the foods they eat are supposed to reflect who they are instead of who society wants them to be.
Probably the biggest thing hipsters are known for, however, is for having a smug attitude. They're known for pointing out that they were already fans of things before it was cool to be on the bandwagon and for introducing you to music, movies, and games that you "probably didn't know about," which basically demonstrates their assumption that they're more finely attuned to "the scene" than you.
They're thought of as doing the things they believe make them unique only because they want to be identified as different instead of being true to who they really are. That being said, there are probably a lot of people who get called hipsters that don't act or believe in those ways at all, that don't believe their passions are inherently better than everybody else's, and couldn't care less about whether you've heard of their new favorite band or not.
They're just trying to be who they want to be, but because they dress in a certain style or share certain tastes with the rest of this subculture, they get a bad rap. In fact, many people who get called hipsters probably grimace at the thought of being identified as one because of the negative connotations society has placed on it.
Hipsters have a few different styles they share. For one, they're known for dressing in very retro, old-timey ways or for championing new styles that they think make them look hip and cool. For instance, some hipsters go for suspenders instead of belts and bow ties instead of neckties.
Many male hipsters like to wear beards in different styles; some have very full beards and handlebar mustaches (think mustache-twirling supervillain style, not Hulk Hogan). Some are into beanies or wear their hair in top-knots and man-buns. Others might have their ears gauged or their septums pierced. Skinny jeans are a hit with hipsters, too.
When it comes to their musical tastes, you'll probably find them listening to modern folk, folktronica, alternative, and indie bands. Don't expect to find much of anything mainstream on their playlists. The same goes for their favorite movies; some of them are big fans of independent films you have to go to special theaters to even see.
And with food, you might find a large percentage of hipsters are vegan. They're known for liking avocado and for ordering things off the menu that you'd probably never try yourself. Again, a lot of this is also stereotypical, but it's what's known to be associated with hipster culture. Hipsters are also known for being social media addicts and for frequenting cafes.
An Answer to the Stereotype
Maybe the best thing for these hipsters to do is to own it and make light of it. By telling some really great hipster jokes, you can show that you're not the insufferable know-it-all people may think you are. If you're quick to the punch, you might be able to learn jokes that your friends "have probably never heard of" and tell them to your buddies "before it was cool" to do so.
There are a few reasons to keep some hipster jokes in your back pocket. Many people view hipsters with mild annoyance and enjoy lightly mocking them (think of the way people used to view "dirty hippies").
Another reason to tell jokes is that stereotypes can be hilarious when used gently; think of some of the most classic jokes, and you'll find stereotypes behind many of them. For instance, the old "preacher, rabbi, and an atheist walk into a bar" joke uses stereotypes, just as any that involve the words redneck, lawyer, or politician.
Of course, some stereotypes can be extremely offensive, and this is not a blanket commendation of using them to try to get a laugh. Another reason to tell jokes is that it's fun to make fun of yourself sometimes. Humor aimed at yourself is often the most satisfying kind, and others will appreciate that you're able to not take yourself so seriously.
It can also be a marker of good self-esteem. If you have no problem getting a laugh about who you are as a person, then you're probably very comfortable with who that is. So even if you're a hipster, telling hipster jokes might be the best way to show people your own internal confidence.
Now that you know what a hipster is, let's apply that knowledge with these 30 jokes, most of which have punchlines that make use of the stereotype's love for liking things "before they're cool" and how "you probably haven't heard of" their favorite things.
1. Why do hipsters hate iced drinks? Because they only like things before they're cool.
2. Why does a hipster do his work in the heat of the day? Because they want to do it before it's cool.
3. Why are hipsters jealous of prophets? Because prophets always know things you probably haven't heard of.
4. Who was the first hipster? You probably haven't heard about him.
5. Why do hipsters only use microwaves? They don't like conventional ovens.
6. If a tree falls in the woods and nobody's around to hear it, a hipster will buy the CD.
7. Why was the roomful of hipsters fighting? Because someone farted and everybody said they heard it first.
8. What do you call a hipster who falls? A Tumblr.
7. How much does a hipster weigh? An Instagram.
8. Why are hipsters so thin? Because they have skinny genes.
9. Is there anything a hipster can't ruin for everyone? There is, but you probably haven't heard of it.
10. Why do hipsters love ice? Because ice was water before it was cool.
11. How many hipsters does it take to screw in a lightbulb? You wouldn't know; it's a pretty obscure number.
12. Why did the hipster call off work? He had an uncommon cold.
13. Have you heard the new hipster joke? I have it on vinyl.
14. How do you persuade a hipster to eat a hotdog? Serve it in a man bun.
15. My poetry brings all the hipsters to the yard, and they're like "how avant-garde."
16. Hipsters: Jesus loved you before you were cool.
17. Why do hipsters hate rivers? They're too mainstream.
18. Why do hipsters love lava? Because it's basically a rock before it's cool.
19. How many avocados did the hipster put on his bagel? An Instagram.
20. What do hipsters make in bakeries? Man buns.
21. Knock knock. Who's there? Just some hipster; you probably haven't heard of me.
22. Why do hipsters hate the ice age? Because the world was better before it was cool.
23. Why do hipsters only fish in ponds? Everything else is too mainstream.
24. What do you call a group of hipster soldiers? An avant-garde.
25. Why do hipsters like subways? Because they're underground.
26. Why do hipsters only listen to dead artists? Because they're all underground.
27. How did the hipster burn his mouth? He drank his coffee before it was cool.
28. Why do hipsters only use worms to fish with? Because they're underground.
29. If a hipster falls in the forest with no one around, you probably wouldn't know it.
30. What did the hipster shout during the sword fight? "Avant-garde!"
Laughter is one of the things that makes life worth living, and the best humor comes from things everyone can relate to. With hipsters becoming mainstream (how ironic), you can be sure to get a laugh from your friends and family by keeping these thirty hilarious hipster jokes stashed away for a rainy day. After all, your buddies probably haven't heard of them.
Jane is news writer presenting the latest trending information as it's released. She's spends most of her time sourcing premium news from our top sources bringing fresh updates to her loyal subscribers. She loves ice-cream and her dog Sally!