Coachella Alongside With Stagecoach Have Been Delayed Until Mid October This Year

... Credit : nytimes.com
...
Deanna Rivera in Entertainment

Last updated: 12 March 2020, 04:15 GMT

Coachella is an annual music and arts festival set to take place next month in California desert but the event organizer Goldenvoice decided to put the festival on hold until October as fears grow over the coronavirus outbreak.

Promoted Recommendations

Credit Image: theverge.com

The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival is one of the world's most high-profile music and hotly-anticipated festivals of the year with many celebrity attendees like Calvin Harris, Travis Scott, Lana del Ray, Frank Ocean, Dave, Hot Chip, and Little Nas X set to perform at the Empire Polo Club in Indio, California.

Credit Image: variety.com

Stagecoach, a country music festival organized by the same company, has also been moved from April to October.



Goldenvoice said in a statement,

"While this decision comes at a time of universal uncertainty, we take the safety and health of our guests, staff and community very seriously."

However, with the rising number of cases of the virus, US latest figures shows more than 1,000 confirmed cases of the disease and 28 deaths, the decision was taken to move it in October 9 to 11, and 16 to 18. While Stagecoach, will take place in October 23, 24 and 25.

Credit Image: laist.com

Promoted Recommendations

People who are unable to attend the festival will be offered refunds.

Coachella is the latest arts event to be affected by the ongoing outbreak. Last week, South by Southwest (SXSW) announced that it was cancelling this year's festival.

Credit Image: fox.com

In a statement released by its organizers, SXSW said,



"The show must go on' is in our DNA, and this is the first time in 34 years that the March event will not take place. We are now working through the ramifications of this unprecedented situation."

This year’s cancellation could bring with it a huge financial loss, according to studies.

Airlines like Qantas and Jetstar has dramatically cutting down flights to Asia, the United States, United Kingdom and New Zealand.

Promoted Recommendations

A statement from Qantas Group CEO Alan Joyce, read:

"In the past fortnight we've seen a sharp drop in bookings on our international network as the global coronavirus spread continues. When revenue falls you need to cut costs, and reducing the amount of flying we do is the best way for us to do that.”

He continued,

"Less flying means less work for our people, but we know coronavirus will pass and we want to avoid job losses wherever possible. We're asking our people to use their paid leave and, if they can, consider taking some unpaid leave given we're flying a lot less.”



He added,

"It's hard to predict how long this situation will last, which is why we're moving now to make sure we remain well positioned. But we know it will pass, and we'll be well positioned to take advantage of opportunities when it does."




Want more news?

Join 12 newsletter subscribers

 Your data is safe & protected.